Alan Wake 2, developed by Remedy Entertainment and published by Epic Games Publishing, is a fairly demanding game on PC.
This guide (via) provides optimal PC settings for Alan Wake 2 to enhance visual quality, maintain a balanced gaming experience, or achieve higher performance on PlayStation 5, Windows, and Xbox Series X/S.
Best PC Settings For Alan Wake 2
Optimized Quality Settings
High Settings as Base
- Post Processing Quality: High
- Note: Subjective. For a significant performance boost, refer to the “Optimization Tips” section on disabling it.
- Texture Resolution: Highest VRAM Can Handle (Medium most optimal)
- Volumetric Lighting: Medium
- Volumetric Spotlight Quality: Medium
Optimized Balanced Settings
Using Optimized Quality Settings as Base
- Post Processing Quality: Disabled
- Note: See “Optimization Tips” section for disabling instructions.
- Texture Filtering: Medium
- Volumetric Lighting: Low
- Global Illumination Quality: Low
- Shadow Filtering: Medium
- Shadow Detail: Medium
- Fog Quality: Medium
- Terrain Quality: Medium
- Far Object Detail (LOD): Medium
- Scattered Object Density: Medium
Optimized Performance Settings
Using Optimized Balanced Settings as Base
- Shadow Resolution: Medium
- Scattered Object Density: Low
RT Optimized Settings
- DLSS Ray Reconstruction: On
- Direct Lighting: On
- Direct Lighting Denoising Quality: High
- Path Traced Indirect Lighting: Medium
- Path Traced Indirect Lighting Denoising Quality: High
- Transparency: Low
Additional Settings Not Exposed in the Game Menu
To modify additional settings, navigate to the
renderer.ini file in either of the following directories:
Here, you can alter the values for lens distortion, vignette, film grain, depth of field, motion blur, anti-aliasing method, in-game sharpening, and field of view.
Performance Cost Versus Image Quality
- Post Processing Quality: 25% Performance Cost, High Visual Impact
- Shadow Resolution: 10% Performance Cost, Moderate Visual Impact
- Screen Space Reflections (SSR): 10% Performance Cost, Moderate Visual Impact
- Global Reflections: 3% Performance Cost, Moderate Visual Impact
To have an enjoyable gaming experience while playing Alan Wake 2, it is important to choose the right settings. This guide will provide you with detailed information on how to configure your game settings to achieve optimum quality, balanced gameplay, and maximum performance.