Housemarque has released a quick hotfix for Returnal today patching the game to version 01.003.004. The patch notes can be seen here.
As per Housemarque, this update is recommended for those who had their save data corrupted. While it won’t guarantee that the save data will recover, any issues that the players had before the new update would be resolved.
If you are still having issues with the game locking you out in a room, Housemarque has the following solution.
If you are using a pre-order suit: Enter the pause menu and select “Restart your run”. (Your run will be aborted, but any permanent progress and weapon upgrade progress is kept.) Select the plain Selene suit in your spaceship. After doing the suit switch, close the game and start it again. If you have customized controls: Please also try resetting controller bindings to default.
As for the patch notes, we don’t have any official word from Housemarque aside from the confirmation that this update has replaced the last one.
Returnal Update 01.003.004 Patch Notes
If this is the same update as the last one save for the issue with corrupting save data, it should implement the following fixes.
- Fixed an issue where certain Trophies might not unlock under specific gameplay conditions. Note: missing Trophies will need to be replayed to unlock.
- Multiple stability fixes addressing rare crashes/hangs.
- Fixed issue with pre-order suits occasionally blocking item collection and door opening.
- Fixed incorrect healing behaviour when resting in Helios.
- Configuration changes to increase the number of scout corpses available in all biomes.
- Fixed issues with certain custom controller mappings.
- Numerous minor fixes and improvements.