SNK Corporation’s Samurai Showdown RPG, Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits Bushidō Retsuden, has received a full English translation.
The English translation for the Samurai Showdown RPG was decade in the making, but the wait is worth it, as the game is now fully playable in English. But that’s not all. The translated version also brings some bug fixes and worthwhile Quality of Life improvements.
The Samurai Showdown RPG’s new localized title is Samurai Shodown: Tales of the Bushido. Listed below are the various features that come with this version of the game.
- 100% complete translation to English
- Bug fixes from the original Japanese, like some character portraits not being displayed
- A healthy amount of original art, including a new font & title screen by combustocrat
- Quality of Life improvements, which can be toggled via soft DIPs, but are enabled by default in US/EU mode, or disabled for JP mode
- Choose between the Neo*Geo CD or the PS1/Saturn version of the elements system
- Improved potency of permanent stat boost items
- Improved potency of Repellent item (lowers encounter rate)
- Selectable alternate palettes. Hold D while pressing A when confirming any character selection until you hear a chime
It’s worth noting that XDELTA.EXE or a compatible program is required to apply patch.
For the uninitiated, Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits Bushidō Retsuden is a role-playing video game designed for SNK’s Neo Geo CD system, offering a more in-depth retelling of the story events from Samurai Shodown and Samurai Shodown II. It was later ported to the Sega Saturn and PlayStation.
Players choose one of six characters as the main protagonist, with the overall plot remaining consistent for each. However, individual character dialogues differ, and unique special scenes provide additional character details. Combat involves manually inputting specfic joystick motions for special moves, similar to arcade games, instead of choosing from a list. While armor and accessories are available for purchase and use, each character retains the same weapon throughout the game. Players can upgrade their weapons by visiting blacksmiths, who can also imbue them with elements to improve effectiveness against specific enemies.